I have been thinking lately about how Top Prospect Lists really don’t say much about an organization’s future. If you have a player already producing in the majors, he doesn’t count as a prospect, even though he may be younger than your best prospects. So, without further ado, I present the Chicago Cubs Top 10 U25 Players List (The WSD Top 13 Prospects List has not been discontinued).
- SS Starlin Castro – Chicago Cubs – Major League Baseball – MLB
- 1B Anthony Rizzo – Iowa Cubs – Pacific Coast League – AAA
- OF Jorge Soler – Unassigned – Not Applicable – Not Applicable
- OF Albert Almora – Unsigned – Not Applicable – Not Applicable
- OF Brett Jackson – Iowa Cubs – Pacific Coast League – AAA
- SS Javier Baez – Peoria Chiefs – Midwest League – A
- OF Matthew Szczur – Daytona Cubs – Florida State League – Advanced A
- 3B Josh Vitters – Iowa Cubs – Pacific Coast League – AAA
- 3B Jeimer Candelario – Boise Hawks – Northwest League – Short-season A
- SP Chris Rusin – Iowa Cubs – Pacific Coast League – AAA
It is important to note that only one of these players is in the Major Leagues, and only three are above Low A ball, while two have yet to have a professional at-bat (Cuba’s National Series in which Soler played is actually an amateur competition).
On another note, Anthony Rizzo has just left the game in Iowa after narrowly missing a home run in his last AAA at-bat. All signs point to him heading up to Chicago now. In fact, the Iowa Cubs broadcast just announced that he has been officially recalled to the major leagues, according to the Iowa Cubs radio broadcast! Thanks to ChicagoCubsOnline for passing on the radio report!