We’ve had some contests before, including this one for a Billy Williams bobblehead doll. Recently we had a little discussion on our Facebook page where we asked how you think the Cubs will do for the rest of the season. There were a bunch of guesses and some spirited conversation, but as luck would have it, we now have a prize. Our friend Shawn Cusack has a bunch of random autographed baseball cards signed by actual Cubs players. He is willing to give one away to a lucky fan of our blog. Will you be that fan? Read on to find out the rules…
World Series Dreaming
Based on the Cubs’ remaining win-loss record
Premise: Predict the Cubs’ rest-of-season record starting on Friday, August 24 up until the last day of the season on Wednesday, October 3. The Cubs, as of today, are 47-76 and there are now 39 games left. You may use the Cubs’ schedule to inform your decision. Keep in mind that rosters expand on September 1, so Cubs legend Tony Campana will be back among others to help get things going again. Or not.
There will be two (2) tiebreakers: the first tiebreaker will be the the number of strikeouts Brett Jackson will end up with. Going into the off-day he has amassed 29 K’s which is simultaneously impressive and annoying. The second tiebreaker will be your guess for Starlin Castro‘s end of season batting average. Currently Starlin is hitting .275 before getting home to Chicago on Friday.
- You must enter your response in the form of a comment on this blog post. Entries left on Anno’s Twitter feed or on our facebook page are ineligible. The easiest thing for you to do in order to make sure your comment isn’t killed off by our insanely powerful spam filter is to sign up for an account on our blog, which will help your comment bypass the spam filter.
- The period in question was defined above and there are 39 games. Your record could potentially have wins and losses adding up to less than 39 games due to rainouts that are not made up because the Cubs suck too much to matter right now. If you enter a record that adds up to more than 39, then we suggest that you invest in a calculator. The person who makes a guess closest to the actual record will win.
- In the event of a tie, the two tiebreakers mentioned above will be implemented in order. If there is still a miraculous tie then we’ll just have to flip a coin, or maybe Shawn will feel generous. We’ll see.
- You may enter only once, and entries must be received before 1:20 PM Central Time on Friday, August 24th (first pitch against the Rockies). Your comments are time-stamped and any comment received after that time will not be eligible. If you enter more than once, your latest time-stamped response will be counted.
- WSD employees are still not eligible.
There will be only one (1) winner for this contest unless Shawn is feeling particularly generous. Shawn has a boatload of cards he has collected over the years, which includes signatures from Hall of Famers, All-Stars, and random Cubs legends like Koyie Hill. He’s still compiling a list for us now but he definitely has a Mark Prior card or two. When he gets back to me I’ll include a picture or two to show you that we’re not BSing. But for now, think of it as a grab-bag and I can almost guarantee you that he won’t stick you with a Koyie.
Update: Cards to choose from below, and I’m guessing you’ll want the Mark Grace one but who knows, right?
Your choice of one: Ron Cey, Shawon Dunston, Welington Castillo, Mark Grace, Mark Prior and Mike Bielecki. I assume one of you will try to give Shawon-o-meter a bit of love, but it’s not a bad selection.
Winner will be determined at the end of the regular season.
Good luck everyone!