We did this a while back to just keep ourselves interested in an otherwise lost season. Let’s take a look at the checklist…
10. Will anyone ever hit .300 again?
9. Can the Cubs get their team on-base percentage over .300?
8. Can Alfonso Soriano get to 30 homers?
7. Can Alfonso Soriano get to 100 RBI?
Done and done.
6. Can David DeJesus get to 60 BB?
Looks like he’s at 58 right now.
Campana 29, Castro 25.
4. When will they shut Jeff Samardzija down?
3. Can Jeff Samardzija get his ERA under 4?
Shut down on September 8, and yes.
2. Can the Cubs finish with a winning home record?
37-39 at home after today’s victory. They need to win four of the final five, which is possible if they take one more from the Cards and sweep the Astros. Speaking of the Astros…
1. Can the Cubs capture the #1 pick in next year’s draft?
No, because the Astros suck. In fact the Cubs are now tied with the Colorado Rockies for the #2 pick pending the results of the Diamondbacks-Rockies game happening right now. I’d hope for a Rockies victory if I were you.